Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Jars

(First: I have been using my phone camera, because that’s what I have, and its convenient. Sorry the pictures look so crummy.)


 Marianne and I don’t have too much room in our kitchen for storage. And there are some things that I want to have handy and not in the depths of our dark cabinets.
So I thought to store stuff in Mason Jars, because they are good looking (to me) and they are clear, so you can see into them.


And then I realized I wanted to put my tea bags in the jars, but I would need a way to differentiate the kinds. So I decided that I would use chalkboard paint, and paint the lids, so I could know the contents of the jar, and that they could be changed.


I bought Chalkboard spray paint because it was the least expensive, and required less manual work; just point and shoot.
We got it at Home Depot for $5, among their other spray paints. The paint itself was there too, because it comes in a smallish box, and not a bucket like the rest of their paints.


Can lids don't have anything grabby for the paint, so you need to start off a little at a time.
A couple of spurts at a time, gives you a nice base coat, and then you can spray as much on as you want.


And voila; its a Christmas Miracle!


Dress them up with ribbon or twine, or just leave them.
I think they would make excellent gifts for neighbors.
You could put anything inside, and write something on the lid, which they can erase and reuse.
The gift that keeps on giving!
- Love, Lucy

1 comment:

Alyson said...

That is seriously an adorable idea, and one I've never seen on any other decorating blog. Kudos.